Well, I have just read my friend Lyn's retirement blog. She's called it: mysagariangapyear. Boy is she having a great time.
Off to Barbados over Easter, then to Mallorca for a month and now she has planned to go to Borneo and then Brazil.
Travelling is one of my passions and I have to admit I am envious of her ability to do this.
However, I had my year off last year and in that year felt drawn closer to God than at any time in my life. Since going back to work - albeit only 2.5 - 3 days a week - I have had to be distracted from that deeper spirituality and feel the poorer for it. I worry about my increasingly critical nature, and fear it is a reflection of the frustration of my life at the moment.
I enjoy my time in school 80% of the time, but the other 20% dominates my mind - even now, on holiday from school I think of the class and the children who give me trouble. At the same time I am grateful for the class I actually get to teach as opposed to child-mind.
I feel God called me to this place - not just to earn money, but for some other reason, but right now, I can't see why and that is an area where my critical nature is at its worst.
By rights, I should only be there for half a term more, but in practice, I may be there longer - we shall see.
Meanwhile, Lyn, "Bon voyage have a great time, wish I was there!"
A View from a Bridge in St Ives, Cambs.